Tuesday 13 September 2011

Pint? Yes please...

I seem to be into my top 5's so this time I'll make it 6!

I've visited many pubs over the years and am always interested to hear other peoples opinions on which ones are best so I've just summarised my own top 6 (in Cardiff). There is no model for a great pub although if there was I'm sure it would resemble the Ship and Castle in Aberystwyth, definitely a favourite from my University years. These pubs aren't going to be everyone's thing but they are the places I like to drink and there are obviously going to be in places near to where I live.

The Black Lion (Llandaf Village)
This used to be my local when living at home and it serves a great pint of my favourite sessions beer Brain Dark (none of this smooth nonsense either). The Black Lion has one extremely important thing going for it in my mind, it's friendly. The staff are always chatty and the beer is always good. Reasonably cheap too. They also have a darts board if you're feeling adventurous.

The Butchers Arms (Canton)
This is a great little pub, first went there a couple of years ago on the way home from a rugby game in town. It serves Brains Dark (always a win) and it's friendly and quite cosy. It isn't a super luxury pub or a gastropub it's just a proper old fashioned pub, beer, bar snacks and regulars. The pub is apparently under new management but I haven't had a chance to see if anything has changed yet.

Zero Degrees (Westgate Street)
I just love the idea of a pub that makes its own beer and the food isn't bad either. A good selection of interesting beers with the Mango being a firm favourite of most of my friends, personally I'm more partial to the dark beers but then again I just love dark beer (theme anyone?).

The Halfway (Pontcanna)
This is my rugby pub, well it's the place I try to go on the way to rugby. It's not a special pub but the food is of good quality and I enjoy trying the guest lager that changes every couple of weeks. It's a good way to find new beers that you'll like and some that you may not...

Chapter Arts Centre (Canton)
If you want a beer that's a bit different then Chapter is quite simply your best option in Cardiff. It isn't cheap and sometimes the clientèle are a bit up their own arses but go with some mates and limit  yourself to 3-4 beers and you will have a good evening (I realise that this may be a bit much for some ppl but for me it's limiting myself). My personal favourites are the Dunkels (Dark beers) and the Weize (white wheat beers), there's a good selection. The Cider choice is also worth looking at, try Hallets!

Maenllwyd Inn (Machen)
Okay, not strictly 'in' Cardiff but pretty near. Quite simply the best pub I know for a good meal, the food is fantastic. The draw back of the place is that it is not readily accessible, you have to drive and it's in a bit of a random place. As well as the good food there is usually a good selection of beers (get someone else to drive!) and lots of good wine!

1 comment: