Thursday 8 September 2011

Free things in Cardiff

I've lived in Cardiff pretty much my whole life and my recent bout of unemployment has set me thinking, what can I do here for free? You would have thought I'd have loads of ideas and maybe I have. As a start to this shiny new blog here are five things worth doing in Cardiff for free! The thing about this is, as I've thought about it more I've realised that I do know the city pretty well and that maybe I should look past the obvious Museums at some places that make Cardiff the place I've loved to live.

Cycle the Ely Trail

Everyone always thinks "Taff Trail" when someone suggests a cycle ride in Cardiff but why not try something a bit different. The Ely trail is quieter and shows you far more of Cardiff's past. I usually start from my house in Canton and cycle down to the "International Sports Village"

Visit Jacobs antiques

This in some ways is a bit of a hidden gem, most people will have driven past with no idea that it's there. It's a treasure trove of interesting stuff, old, wacky and weird. My personal favourite is the old miltary memorabilia but there is something for everyone.

Check out the view from the barrage

Okay so this one may be a bit more obvious but I love going out there. Try going out in the evening and just check out the amazing view of Cardiff. For me this is a favourite photo spot, you can catch the boats coming and going and just watch the city from a distance. All that hustle and bustle and you are just sat chilling, brilliant!

Go upstairs in the arcades

This may sound a little strange but it's totally true, some of the old arcades have upstairs areas. The thing is, they're amazing as well, a different world. I hadn't really thought about them until my Cousin and girlfriend went up there for a wonder a few weeks ago. They took some photos and it just reminded me of what a pretty place the arcades are. The arcades are a really important part of the city's heritage and if you want to see more I'd suggest visiting The Cardiff Arcades Project, Amy has tons of amazing photos there.

Visit Insole Court (the gardens)

I remember going to insole court gardens with my friends when I was younger. The house may not be quite what it once was but the Friends of Insole Court are working hard to bring the building back into regular usage. It isn't that the gardens are the most beautiful in Cardiff but that doesn't stop the place from being a bit of a hidden gem. One of the best places I've ever played hide and seek!


Those are just a flavour of what Cardiff has to offer and hopefully a flavour of what blogging has to offer for me. Keep an eye open for more from me soon! (please)

No comments:

Post a Comment