Monday 3 October 2011

Give up now, you are doomed

Had a meeting with my personal adviser at the job centre today and left very feeling that the title of today's blog piece seems apt. I remember searching for work two years ago and although it was hard going there didn't seem to be such a negative view on the situation that faced me. I guess in many ways my thinking now returns to my previous blog on degree marks and what they really mean in real life. In the end I didn't get the job I had the interview from, I was obviously disappointed but it's not something to dwell on. The job market is quite honestly, awful, the jobs are either low paid admin or pretty skilled (and well paid) but a bit beyond where I am at the moment. I guess you have to feel for the job centre people, they're just expected to shuffle you back into work, it isn't their problem if that work isn't really suitable for you.

It's set me thinking about how this is affecting other people and where exactly the jobs are. London is the obvious answer to the second part of this but the first is more depressing. Seeing friends working in pubs, shops and call centres is frustrating, people with huge potential and an expensive education wasting away in unchallenging jobs. The one successful line seems to be those who've gone into teaching, this is something I want to do in future although I realise I need to get some practical experience to see if it suits me. There is something here that concerns me a bit and that is the large numbers of people seeing teaching as the only option, surely at some point the jobs will just run out? I guess it depends what you want to go in to it for.


I had a moment about 9 months ago now, I had been thinking about my job and what I wanted to do in the future. I realised that I actually really want to teach... I guess the thought had been in my mind before but since then I've been sure it's what I want to do in my future. The only thing that remains is to get my CRB and do some school time just to make sure I know what I'm letting myself in for. Oh and to find a job to get some money together to survive another year of education. I just hope all those friends I met in Uni manage to get on and find something that they really want to do, they're certainly well qualified now...

Final thought...is it surprising that after spending 17 years in full time education (and one part time) out of mine 27 that teaching seems a natural fit?

No comments:

Post a Comment