Monday 17 October 2011

Is it time to listen to...

I went to see Bob Dylan last week, the gig itself was a bit of a disappointment, the great man doesn't sound so great anymore. Still it's one of those things I can say I've done, bucket list achievement!

So the gig has set me a-thinking (a dangerous proposition) about music again so I thought I'd share a few thoughts (and by thoughts I mean artists/songs).

Leonard Cohen - The man is a bit of a legend in my eyes, doesn't pretend he's a great singer but he most certainly is a great lyricist. The first song I heard of by him was Everybody Knows, the circumstances of finding out about this song were slightly strange but I instantly loved it. I had his Live in London album on my mp3 player (note I DO NOT have an ipod!) and one of his songs was featured in The Boat That Rocks (one of my favourite films, largely for the music). The song was Marianne, a world away from Everybody Knows but that just shows the versatility of Cohen. I remember watching a music history show a few months back and it was talking about Cohen and how he developed, good story worth learning. Lots of people just know Cohen from the epic Hallelujah, which was a big hit for another solo star Jeff Buckley but there is much much more to him than that. Here's Marianne for your listening pleasure, enjoy! I know I did when I first heard it.

Ed Harcourt - I've seen Ed live twice although sadly both were a few years ago, still the music is as good now as it was then. Particular favourites include Shanghai, Whistle of a Distant Train and Black Dress. Thinking about it I guess what really interests me music wise are good lyrics, something that can get you in a good mood but also set you pondering all sorts of things. Ed has an ability to do that for me and I have very fond memories of seeing him live with my biggest disappointment being that I was so ill at one gig I had to leave half way through...

For your listening pleasure I've chosen a couple of his tracks, I hope you enjoy! The first is "She fell into my arms" and I really love the trumpet part in this one.
My second choice is from his most recent album, one which I'm sad to say I've not listened to, the song is the title track "Lustre".

The Divine Comedy - Yes, that's right I'm harping on about them again, but as I'm doing video's I thought it was different enough to get away with...

I will get straight into the video's, three Divine Comedy classics coming up... First off possibly their most famous song and definitely the most fun video National Express.
Now for two more quick fire video's... One new, one older.


No comments:

Post a Comment