Monday 21 November 2011

Films and Music

I'm currently mainly listening to film soundtrack albums, obviously from films I enjoyed so I thought I'd chuck a couple of recommendations out there...

Across the Universe

The film is based around Beatles tracks in a similar way to Mama Mia for ABBA, the difference here is that this was never a stage show just a film. I didn't realise it existed until a friend lent me the DVD (which I really need to return...).

The thing that I love about the music apart from the fact it's all Beatles tracks that I know and love is the way it is all performed. So much music is just performed to be perfect and lacks character but in this film the characters themselves come out not just in the songs but in the way they sing them. My favourite character from the film is probably Jo-Jo.  I also find the setting very enjoyable, it all takes place around the time of the Vietnam war giving good usage of the music. Favourite song found below...




Scott Pilgrim VS The World

This quite simply is one of my favourite films and as with many other great films it has a soundtrack that really fits in. Lots of the films is based around the music so it's pretty fertile ground making a soundtrack. The film has so many pop-culture references that are bang on for my generation its amazing. As soon as I heard it was coming out I heard nothing but good things, I know some people haven't enjoyed it but I have (and that's what matters).

The chosen song is a bit of a classic from Frank Black, hope you are a fan too.


Obviously there are a huge number of films with great music, Romeo and Juliet stands out as one, some of the music from 28 Days Later is also very good but for my final choice I'm going to suggest Badly Drawn Boy's soundtrack for the film About a Boy.

About a Boy

The film is quite cheesey but the whole way through you are greeted with the sound of Badly Drawn Boy. I am a big fan of BDB with The Shining probably being one of my favourite songs ever mainly down to the intro. For About a Boy the music fits well and he manages real variety, lots of instruments and a few different styles. I still remember seeing about when he tried busking and everyone thought he was rubbish but that for me just added to the quality.

Chosen track this time is File Me Away, it's something a little bit different but still pretty damn good IMHO.


No comments:

Post a Comment